Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Get to the back of the "Modesty" Bus

Yeah, I know I said I was on hiatus, but reading about this on the BBC web site a moment ago got my blood boiling.

Here we are in the 21st century and even in highly educated societies such as Israel, you still have male chauvinist bullies who are inspired by their religious orthodoxy to behave like a bunch of misogynists.

The articles quotes a woman named Naomi Regen, "They throw paint and bleach at women who aren't dressed modestly and if we don't draw a line in the sand here with this seat on a bus, then I don't know what this country and this religion is going to look like in 20 years."

In a post 9/11 world, we are used to criticizing misogyny in Muslim countries. But if such behavior cannot be curbed in a Western oriented society such as Israel, then what hope is there for women in Saudi Arabia or Pakistan? Contact the Israeli Embassy and tell them to abolish the "modesty" buses.

9 comments:

Baconeater said...

That is disgusting. I've never been on great terms with the Ultra Othodox.

Religious psychotics are religious psychotics no matter what God they believe in.

Fiery said...

Hi! Glad you're back even if it is temporary. :-)

I had no idea that fundamentalist Jews are almost as anti-women as fundamentalist Islams. What's next, honour killings for not eating kosher???

Anonymous said...

Just like the treatment meated out to black americans at the time of the bus boycotts.The Israeli police should be ordered to stop this outrage.

Stardust said...

Wow, my penfriend in Tel Aviv never wrote and told me about this going on in Israel. I am going to ask her about it in my next letter. Yes, it is just like the treatment given to black Americans even as late as the 60s, and as beaj summed it up, "religious psychotics are religious psychotics no matter what god they believe in."

Glad to see a post by you, Tommy! You should do just one a week, that way you can keep your readers happy, and still have time for other things. ;-)

BigTex71 said...

That is just sad.

It's appalling what people do in the name of religion.

Fiery said...

Say Tommy- OT, so I apologize in advance.

Did you do the Fatima challenge post where the Virgin Mary appeared at the foot of your bed and you had to get out your flashlight from the bed side table????

Somebody wrote about that and I was going to reference it on another blog, *sigh* and now I can't remember where it was. Thought it was here but can't seem to find it.

:-D

Tommykey said...

LOA, that was just an April Fools Day prank post. I took it down the other day because I saw no point in leaving it up.

Fiery said...

I knew it was a prank, but i was SOOOO going to quote it. There was this site wanting proof of a visitation from the virgin mother, I was going to reference your post.

Bummer you took it down. Thought I was losing my mind when I couldn't find it.

Besides it was hillarious, why take down funny? I'm glad I read it before you deleted it.

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to note who has to make the accommodation here. Of course, it's the women who have to move to the back of the bus. The men who don't think they should have to sit next to women get to just plop down wherever they would sit anyway, while the people who don't care one way or another are forced to accommodate them.