Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Philippines Trip - August 29, 2011 - The Loon Macaques

After our bit of fun at the Danao Adventure Park, we headed back to Loon.  Along the way, Stuart wanted to stop at this dairy shop by the road to get some bottles of locally produced milk.  All of us bought a bottle, including, against my better judgment, myself, as I bought a bottle of chocolate milk.  The reason I say against my better judgment is because I do have a problem with lactose intolerance, though only certain dairy products have an adverse affect on me.  At worst, I figured I would have quick case of the shits later on in the day.  But that's a story for the next post.

Anyway, after the stop at the dairy, we continued on to the Loon Macaques Habitat.  The habitat is located in a mangrove swamp near the shore of the northwest corner of Bohol island.  If you click on the link I provided, you will see a picture of the entrance to the bamboo footbridge that brings you into the swamp.  Led by a guide, we walked about 100 yards or so to the end.  The guide had some food with her for the macaques, who in small groups or one-by-one, started to gather around us.








 

During our time there, about twenty minutes, I observed a variety of behaviors displayed by the macaques, including some episodes of fighting and bullying amongst some of them.  But then you see moments like this one.

 

 
The whole time we spent at the macaques habitat was about a half an hour at the most.  If you're in the northwestern part of Bohol, I would say it is worth a visit, though you would be advised to add it to either the beginning or end of your itinerary for the day. 

No comments: