Monday, December 10, 2007

The Things That Really Matter - Part 2

As my regular readers might recall from the original post The Things That Really Matter, I have had to set aside extra time with my son to help him catch up with his classmates and do better in school. This has cut into how much free time I have to blog, but I have no regrets. My son's education comes first.

However, this week things are even harder. My mom was admitted to the hospital yesterday complaining of dizziness and feelings of pressure on her chest, among other things. I was actually planning on going to work yesterday to make up for time but had to call it off. To add to the burden even more, I now have to take care of my mom's new dog (she bought a Pomeranian last month, though if you ask me, it looks a fucking rodent!). Tonight, after getting home with my kids around 6 p.m., I had to feed my kids, feed the dog, go to my mom's place and pick up some things that she asked for, go to the hospital, come back home, give my kids their baths, feed them their snacks, and work with my son on his homework.

Fortunately, my mom is feeling better, though the idiot doctors at North Shore Plainview still don't have any clear idea what is wrong with her. Early conjectures were congestive heart failure or a piece of food that got into her lungs when she coughed, but now they are leaning towards bronchitis, plus a urinary tract infection thrown in for good measure. To add to the misery, the hospital does not have any beds available and she is still in the emergency room wing. When I got there tonight, she was on a gurney in the hallway. And this was more than 30 hours after being admitted!

By the time they get around to getting her a room it will probably be time to discharge her. Sheesh! The good news is that she is not in the terrible situation that she was in last year and her hospital stay will be much briefer.

At any rate, things are going to be a little slow around here this week, as they have been for most of this month.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds stressful! Don't forget to take a bit of time for yourself so you don't get feeling overwhelmed and burned-out by it all.

All your blogging fans will still be here waiting for your next post whenever it comes. No hurry.

tina FCD said...

Whew! You are busy! AND the holidays are coming...

Andrea said...

That's a nice way to treat an elderly lady in pain. Damn. I hope she's much better soon.

I was going to ask how your son's doing too...actually, I was going to email you but I couldn't find a link for an addy.

I agree, don't forget about *you*

Anonymous said...

Back in 2003, my dad was in that hospital and he too, was kept in the emergency room for days due to a lack of beds. Then he fell out of the emergency room bed onto the floor, where they found him quite a while after. No explanation for that, of course. I'm not going to finish this story, because I don't want to spook you, but get her home as quickly as possible. The hospital is no place for a sick person.

Tommykey said...

Thanks all for your kind words. If all goes well, my mom should be coming home some time tomorrow. And then I can give her the damned dog back! :-)

Anonymous said...

vermillion http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Omeprazole.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Vacuum-Cleaners.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Annuity-Calculator.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Bariatric-Surgery.aspx http://www.netknowledgenow.com/members/Electric-Blankets.aspx