Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Prayer As a Weapon

Sara Robinson, co-blogger at Orcinus, has an interesting post up about Wiley Drake, a Southern Baptist pastor who has urged his flock to engage in imprecatory pray to call on God to smite the staff members of Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

Here is a brief article about it on the Christian Newswire site.

For more information about what an imprecatory prayer is, see here. While some people might find this whole thing rather disturbing, I find it rather comical. After all, given that we know that there is no God that answers the prayers of its followers, there is nothing to worry about. Heck, tomorrow my wife, children and I are flying out to Chicago. If every Christian, Jew and Muslim in America prayed for my plane to crash and kill me and my family, I wouldn't be the slightest bit hesitant about boarding the plane.

To be honest, I would more expect a Christian to pray for me to find and accept Christ than for me to be killed in a plane crash. But I wouldn't put it past a Muslim to pray for Allah to strike me and my family down, particularly after some of the posts I have put up lately.

As a matter of fact, if any Muslims visit this blog in the next three days, I implore you, please do pray to your Allah to cause my plane to crash. Let's see if your precious Allah is up to the challenge.

3 comments:

tina FCD said...

Aw oh....just kiddin.

JayG said...

tommie,
A Christian should, as you expect, pray for you, not for your destruction, unfortunately this is another example of bad disciplship - Christians giving scandal to non-Christians. Jesus had to keep His sons of Thunder Apostles [James and John] in line at least once, when some the people of a town would not heed their words and James and John asked, "should we call down Fire from the Sky to fall on them?" Jesus told them no. I always took this to mean that calling for Fire from the Sky was Old Testament, not a big part of the New Covenant.

angelsdepart said...

I would be scared if Muslims or Christians started praying for my plane to crash. Not because I think that "god" will make the plane crash but rather because I think that these religious fanatics are so desperately tied to their beliefs that they might try to make the plane crash themselves so they could "prove" to everyone that prayer works.