Thursday, January 10, 2008

Yet Another Eighties Music Medley

What can I say. So many great songs to mine. The irony of it is that I was not even into most of this music during the 1980's. I liked U2 and some INXS, but for the most part I was into hard rock and heavy metal. During my teenage years, I dismissed bands and artists like Depeche Mode and Morrissey as being for fags. I'm ashamed to admit that I was a bit homophobic during that era, and it was not until the early Nineties that I really started to appreciate their music as well as shedding my homophobia.


Pet Shop Boys "What Have I Done To Deserve This".




Morrissey "Every Day Is Like Sunday".




Depeche Mode "People Are People". A classic plea for tolerance.




U2 "40" Live at Red Rocks. One of the oldest CD's I have is a collection of U2's live early 80's songs called "Under A Blood Red Sky". This version of "40" has a somewhat different ending than the version on the CD. I love how at the end each band member bows out one at a time, until only the drummer is left while the audience continues to sing out "How long, to sing this song? How long, to sing this song? How long? How long? To sing this song"




INXS "Don't Change". I absolutely loooooooove this song, but rarely hear it on the radio. I am thrilled that I found this video on Youtube. Unfortunately, the sound quality is not that great and the embedding was disabled, so I can only provide a link. INXS was a great band. It's too bad that Michael Hutchence was so fucked up in the head and got himself killed, either by hanging himself in a bout of depression, or accidentally while engaging in auto-erotic asphyxiation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAJB9iIFjMo

No comments: