Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Pledge Project - My Video

I am pleased with the feedback I have received so far about my idea for modelling the Blasphemy Challenge by having those of us who support removing "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance post videos of ourselves reciting the Pledge without those two words.

I think that having videos of atheist Americans pledging allegiance to their country, besides generating interest and support for the project, helps to put a human face on the issue. When you actually hear people reciting the Pledge the way it was before Congress changed it in the 1950's, it doesn't sound so alien. And as I remarked at the end of my video below, I think the Pledge flows a lot more smoothly without "under God" in it.




I had originally shot a longer video with an intro that was about one and a half minutes, but I did not like the way it turned out and decided to go with the shorter video above.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, was that Faramir with a haircut on the video or was it really you Tommy?

vjack said...

Hey Tommy, could you do me a favor and update the link to Atheist Revolution in your blogroll? The new URL is http://www.atheistrev.com

Thanks!

Stardust said...

Tommy, what a nice speaking voice you have.

Yes, the pledge does sound MUCH better back to the way they were originally without the reference to a mythological character.

Tommykey said...

Hey Vjack. Consider it done!

Thanks Stardust. I originally filmed a longer version that contained background information, but I stammered a few times. Plus, I was worried my wife might come home while I was in the middle of filming.

Evolved Rationalist said...

Cute. :)

Tommykey said...

Thanks. You should see the one with my kids!

tina FCD said...

Oh my Flying Spaghetti Monster! You mean that's NOT you in the profile picture?? :) But damn, I ain't complainin'!

Yes, you do have a great speaking voice. :)

Tommykey said...

you do have a great speaking voice.

Really? I never thought I did.

EvolutionRules said...

Great idea!

Zipcodeman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zipcodeman said...

Actually, the pledge was originally written without the under god. it Wasn't added until 1954