Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Fruits of Homophobia

This article on the BBC web site about an attack by extremists on a peaceful gay pride march in Russia is a stark example of what happens when gays are demonized by those who cloak their bigotry in the mantle of religion and public morality.

While I am grateful that such brazen acts of mass violence do not happen here in the United States, when gays are vilified as freaks, perverts, and threats to traditional families, it contributes to a climate where violence against gays is viewed by some as not only acceptable, but necessary. And that is why I, a happily married straight guy, in case anyone is wondering, feels duty bound to speak out against homophobia.

1 comment:

BigTex71 said...

I agree with you. I recently found out that my little brother is gay- I wrote a little blurb about it on my blog.

Why can't we all just get along?! Oh, wait... I know why- RELIGION!